In 1986, Congress passed and President Reagan signed into law the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA). The IRCA required the following:
- that employers to attest their employee's immigration status
- made it illegal to knowingly hire or recruit unauthorized immigrants
- legalized certain seasonal agricultural illegal immigrants
- legalized illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously with the penalty of fine, back taxes due, and admission of guilt.
- increased enforcement of U.S. border