Monday, April 25, 2011

Law firm won't defend marriage act for GOP - TheHill.com

Law firm won't defend marriage act for GOP - TheHill.com

As I sit in the Tampa International Airport awaiting the flight home from Florida I am catching up on the news of the world that I have been unplugged from since Wednesday. In reading The Hill I found this article. Now, I understand that people have their view on marriage and who it should include or not include. What troubles me is that a law firm that is under contract, not to mention our own Department of Justice department, is going to violate the contract based on pressure from outside lobby groups. My hope is that Congress will sue the law firm not holding up to their end of the contract and de-fund the Department of Justice until they uphold all laws enacted by the Congress and signed into law by the President of the United States.

On a separate issue, when will people realize that marriage is not a right and should be something that government has no involvement in. I understand that to unravel the sweater will be long a difficult but maybe, just maybe, Americans will wake up and see that we have allowed our government enact legislation that is unwarranted. It is time for those on both sides of the marriage-rights debate to put down their banners and work together. To work together to strip marriage from all aspects of government. For those of us that still want to marry another person leave that to the religious institutions or contract law.