Thursday, February 11, 2010

Jobs Bill really going to create jobs

Senators Max Baucus (D-MT) and Chuck Grassley (R-IA) have release a bipartisan jobs bill today. The bill is reported to include tax breaks for companies hiring new employees, money for highway construction, relief to private pensions and short-term extension of combat terrorism aspects of the Patriot Act. In addition it will extend unemployment benefits to many whose benefits ran out and still pay premiums on health insurance. While this is good news that bipartisan ship is not dead, it does beg the question if the items listed above will create jobs?

As I have been door knocking for my new business venture I have talked with other business owners in the area about how business is going and what some of their hurdles are. No once did I hear, "I wish I could hire more employees and have assistance with payroll." Rather what I have been hearing is that things are slow and inventory costs are a trouble spot. Plus, how does giving money to pensions and extending aspect of the Patriot Act create jobs? I look forward to hearing more about this bill and others floating around Congress. What can government do to really help create jobs? Or is it better for the Government to allow the private sector to increase/create jobs?