Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Marriage Amendment is more than same-sex discussion

I know it has been awhile since I have posted a topic and adding my thoughts. To that I do apologize to my avid readers. Being a business owner has opened up my world to how incredibly difficult it can be to run a business, a home, and find time for family and friends. Not to mention finding time to do research into the topics of the day. I suppose I could just tune into MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News every night to get the hot topics of the day. To which I'd just get the spin and no substance.

Last night I flipped back and forth between watching the Minnesota Legislature and some of my favorite fictional television. Although the Minnesota Legislature was not able to gain a compromise on the budget - a budget was veto'd by Gov. Dayton - they were able to pass a potentially polarizing Constitutional Amendment - Definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman.

Here is how the Amendment reads: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/showPDF.php

Now I went back to read the Bill of Rights in the United States Constitution and no where in there did I see where marriage was a right afforded within. As the November nears I am sure a lot of conversation will take place, my hope is that labels can be avoided. Just because someone disagrees with the notion of same-sex marriage does not translate into them being a bigot. Having this type of amendment on the ballot is precisely how the Founders wanted our country to be - States are the test tubes of democracy while the Federal Government is there to ensure the ability for these types of tests to take place.

Many times I have stated that marriage is not a right; rather it is a rite that should be returned to the Church to decide. It is time for Minnesotans to demand that our State and Federal government remove all the "rights" of marriage from the government realm. Allow people to live their lives free of government intervention. By having any marriage definition or a role in by the government is not allowing people to do so.