Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baby Slings: Death Carriers?

Okay, I have to get this off my chest as I heard about it again today. The other night, I think Monday it was, the wife and I were watching the evening news when the anchors discussed the potential hazards the baby slings pose. Now I am not sure if everyone reading the blog has seen one; http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100309/capt.363281ae6af143908fcab46761c2526d.baby_sling_warning_wx102.jpg. Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum "says her agency is getting ready to issue a general warning to the public, likely to go out this week, about the baby carriers" (http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-03-09-baby-slings_N.htm?csp=34).

Can we as a society please apply some common sense when using products purchased? The slings cradle the baby in a curved position. If one carries their child around in these things and the material restricts the airway the result is suffocation. I am waiting for the lawsuits to begin or for labels to be stitched in warning of death. Just another example of Government being looked toward for an answer instead of applying some common sense when use a product purchased.