Friday, June 19, 2009

Zummerfest in Hamburg, MN

I know that most entries are politically charged, but today's entry will be different. Why the difference, well because Hamburg is having their annual celebration. Enjoy the break from the regular programming for something on the lighter side.

It’s finally Friday and today brings the annual celebration to a start in Hamburg; Zummerfest. While I won’t be able to participate a lot during Friday’s events due to two softball games tonight, it will still be a fun an enjoyable weekend. The city wide garage sales have already started, started on Thursday, and I have seen several cars roll on by my house. Although not as many as last year, I suppose the economy has the avid garagesaler re-thinking their tours.

For the rest of the neighborhood and my family festivities will galore this evening. The food stands will open at 4 pm. The classic car show and cruse will begin at 7 pm. I am a bit bummed I won’t be able to see that though, I hear some really cool vehicles will be on display. Youth baseball games start at 6:30 pm while a basketball shootout will take place at 6:00 pm. Relay for Life will be taking place as well. To cap off the evening the Castaways will be performing from 8:30 to 12:30.

Should be a night of fun. At least I will be able to catch the end of the Castaways. On Saturday things start early as the horseshoe tournament, antique tractor show, youth baseball games, and 3 on 3 basketball gets started at 9 am. I wonder how many hung-over people will be attending those events. The sheephead tournament is set to start at 9:30 am. No clue what sheephead is but I hear it’s a card game. The jewel of the day starts at 3:30 pm with the annual Hamburg Havoc Demo Derby. God’s Squad takes the stage at 6 pm with R & R Pro Wrestling bringing the ring live from the Community Hall at 8 pm.

Sunday is a day of reflection yet activities will still persist during the Zummerfest celebration. A community church service will kick off the day at 9:30 am. Then at 11 am, a pork chop dinner is offered (very good from what I hear), youth baseball championship game, and horseshoe tourney – although the last two years they haven’t had it so stay tuned. At noon we will have the tractor & truck pull than at 1 pm to conclude festivities we put the kids to the test during the Kids Pedal Pull.

Below is a link to all the events. Come on out and join in Hamburg’s celebration.

http://www.hamburgminnesota.com/2009zummerfest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment